We use hands-on training in a well-equipped classroom over a three-day period to teach skills required for designing, specifying, configuring, operating and supporting low cost wireless community networks
The topics covered include:
1. Intro to Telecommunications: signals, amplitude, power, frequency, phase, noise, spectrum, bandwidth, signal to noise ratio. Modulation. Medium access techniques. Channel capacity.
2. Wave propagation: attenuation, absorption, reflection, refraction.
3. Antenna and transmission lines fundamentals: gain, loss, connector and adaptors types, dB, dBi, dBm, radiation pattern, beamwidth, vertical and horizontal polarization. Omnidirectional, directive and sectorial antennas. Antenna alignment techniques.
4. Wireless standards and protocols: WiFi networking architecture, access points and clients. LAN and WAN, Point to Point and Point to Multipoint, MAC and IP addresses. APs and clients: configuration, security.
5. Network planning. Software aids for radio networks planning: BotRf and spectrum analysis tools. Link budget calculation: free space loss, EIRP, receiver sensitivity, Fresnel zone, earth bulge, link margin. Site survey and outdoors installations. Long distance links requirements.
Who should attend: Community Network Operators from Africa
Prerequisites: Basic networking background including; TCP/IP, IP addressing and routing protocols. Basic knowledge
- Ermanno Pietrosiemoli (Italy) [EP]
- Michuki Mwangi (Kenya) [MM]
- Marco Zennaro (Italy) [MZ]
- Pascal Zigashane Bahati (DRC)
- Joseph Bishi (Zimbabwe)
- Njungle Nges Brian (Cameroon)
- Patrick Byamungu (DRC)
- John Dada (Nigeria)
- Patrick Gichini (Kenya)
- Billy Einkamerer (South Africa)
- Yakubu Ezekiel (Nigeria)
- Joseph Kamau (Kenya)
- Quentillian Louw (Namibia)
- Nelson Mandela (Kenya)
- Lwando Mdleleni (South Africa)
- Thato Mfikwe (South Africa)
- Josephine Miliza (Kenya)
- Sammy Munyua (Kenya)
- Brian Mxolisi Magwaza (South Africa)
- Simon Ojwang (Kenya)
- Tonny Okwonga (Uganda)
- Benson Olobo (Uganda)
- Nicolas Pace (Argentia)
- Annastasia Shipepe (Namibia)
- Masbulele Siya (South Africa)
- Pacifique Zikomangane (DRC)